Wednesday, September 24, 2008

So this is happening

This is honestly something I never thought I would do, but I figure it's the easiest way to contact people and not continuously repeat everything. I have been in Japan for a bout a week now, actually exactly a week now and I'm having a great time! I've met a ton of people and seen so much, and i haven't even be to all of Tokyo! The people are super nice, but don't expect anything from Americans (they're quite surprised when I speak Japanese). Although the attitude that they have towards foreigners does get old. It seems like people act one of three ways to foreigners. Some are completely surprised that there's a white person in the shop, train, town what hae you (these people tend to have the 'deer-in-head-lights' look). Others are surprised, but really excited to see the white person (these love to wave say hello or even strike up a conversation and help, though the last one is few and far between). The last group is completely indifferent to the fact that the white person even exists (almost to the point that you'd think that they believe that if they look at you, you'd do the 'gaijin smash' gaijin=foreigner giajin smash, the mythical power that all foreigners, especially Caucasians for some reason, have).

The second day that I was here I met two sweedish guys (Emil and Robin) and we hung out then we have been meeting up every now and then and going to some of the different districts throughout Tokyo togeather. it's been a lot of fun going to these different places with other people, it's just not the same alone!

Job hunting is a pain, I don't know where to start and although I've sent out a ton of resumes I haven't gotten much of anything back. It helps a lot that I'm in Japan, but I still need to have a Working Visa to get paid and you need an employer to sponsor you for a Working Visa. The other problem is that there a ton of Americans doing the same thing I'm doing, the the market is flooded. I know I have a lot of time to worry about this (a little over 80 days left now) but it's constantly on my mind.

No comments: